My Personal Online Recycle Bin
You may find something useful here...........

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hibernate 3.1......Running First Sample Application

Today, I have just downloaded the hibernate 3.1. Right after the download completed, I tried to run the sample program according to the step in "Getting Started" page. After I setup everything accordingly, I execute the program and expect everything run smoothly.

But I am so disappointed because it give error that the source files cannot be compiled. After spending some times, I managed to figure out that hibernate 3.1 need Java 5 tiger to compile the source file.

After setup the Java 5 jdk in my environment, I successfully run my first hibernate sample application. YAHOOOOOOO..........

Anyway, I am still not clear on the flow and architecture of hibernate. Hopefully I can learn it fast.

2 Comments:

  • I am quite disappointing too...knowing that Hibernate 3.1 required Java 5 to compile.

    Just my personal perception, I feel most of the new features in Tiger do not really meant for increase program performance (i means the feature like Generics, Typesafe Enums, etc, not the JVM).

    Based on my assumption above, I feel it is not worth for Hibernate to sacrify its backward compatible by making use on these news feature.

    Since you had start ur research on Hibernate, why dont you try to figure out the real reasons Hibernate do not aim to be backward compatible in this latest version?

    looking forward for your finding...:D

    By Blogger Thiam Teck (1983 - ?), at 12:45 AM  

  • As far as i known, in order to backward compatible with the previous jdk version. You have to recompile the hibernate with the previous version of jdk. For full details, you may look at here. Anywhere, I haven't tested it out yet.

    By Blogger Chin Tat, at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home