My Personal Online Recycle Bin
You may find something useful here...........

Monday, December 19, 2005

Grep java process running in linux environment

Last week, my colleague ask for my assistance to found out is a java process still running in a linux machine.

Firstly, I used the ps -ef command to list all active process. But there is too many process running. Thus I narrow down my search by specifying ps -ef |grep -i java. But, still there is multiple process found.

I can't be sure that is the specific java process is still alive or end becasue the ps command don't give enough info which java process is running. So I can only tell my colleague that few java process is running but I am not sure is the specific java process still running.

After that incident, I have tried to search in google and some other site. But also didn't found any solution/way to find out whether a specific java process is running. So I decide to post this question/problem here. Hopefully, may be you can provide a solution to me. Or may be later, I will found a solution later. And share it with you.

3 Comments:

  • very easy only let say u run your java program using "java HellowWorld", then just use command "ps -ef|grep java HelloWorld"

    pls call me genius.

    By Blogger Thiam Teck (1983 - ?), at 7:47 PM  

  • I tried your way, but is not working lah.....

    By Blogger Chin Tat, at 9:20 AM  

  • Tried that on Ubuntu 11.10... It works.
    I need to kill Netbeans IDE instanse, so i typed:
    ~$ ps -ef | grep netbeans

    And it shows me all processes with name netbeans, have to say there were a lot of text but tis is better then nothing)

    By Blogger andrewdevnotes, at 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home